Friday, November 3, 2017

The Bonesetter's Daughter

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan 2001 G.P. Putnam's 353 pages (Source: Library audio book)

First sentence: For the past eight years always starting on August 12th, Ruth Young lost her voice.

Plot: Ruth Young and her widowed mother, LuLing, have always had a tumultuous relationship.  Now, before she succumbs to forgetfulness, LuLing gives Ruth some of her writings, which reveal a side of LuLing that Ruth has never known.

In a remote mountain village where ghosts and tradition rule, LuLing grows up in the care of her mute Precious Auntie as the family endures a curse laid upon a relative known as the bonesetter.  When headstrong LuLing rejects the marriage proposal of the coffinmaker, a shocking series of events are set in motion - all of which lead back to Ruth and LuLIng in modern San Francisco.  The truth that Ruth learns from her mother's past will forever change her perception of family, love, and forgiveness.

My thoughts: At first I thought this was going to be very boring book.  When the story shifted from modern day San Francisco to early 20th century China my thought began to change.  LuLing's life story is told in this portion and explains a lot of why she is the way she is and why he and her daughter Ruth have a very hard relationship.

Ruth discovers the writings of her mother while staying with her during the early stages of Alzheimer's disease.  It's a journey of discovery.  Finding out who you are and where your family came from.

In the end I found I enjoyed this story very much. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about meriting(p).
    Regards

    ReplyDelete

I'm Moving for the last time...

  I hope you will consider joining me here ... I am taking down any of my old blogs here.  Too many old memories that I wish to move on fro...