Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Book of Deacon

The Book of Deacon.  Joseph R. Lallo. Createspace. 322 pages (Source: Audio book)

First sentence: The end of an era is always a time of great importance. 

Plot: The tale of Myranda Celeste, a young woman orphaned by a century long war, and her chance discovery of a fallen soldier's priceless cargo. The find will change her life, sending her on an adventure of soldiers and rebels, wizards and warriors, and beasts both noble and monstrous. Each step will bring her closer to the truth of her potential, of the war, and of the fate of her world. (Goodreads)

My thoughts:  I have a hard time describing these fantasy books but here goes...  Myranda is a wizard but doesn't know it.  If that's possible.  She has powers that weren't ever developed.  But while running from the people who are trying to capture her for what reason she doesn't know she escapes to a land that is full of wizards of various types.  Because her powers are exceptional, without much effort, each wizard wants to train her first.  She passes each test with flying colors, she must be one of the chosen!  The Chosen have the abilit to stop the war that has raged for 150 years but refuses to do so because he makes his money as an assascin.

Deacon... The reasoning to this title didn't hit until Myranda arrived in the land that the wizards resided in.  Deacon was a record keeper of sorts.  The ending left us hearing from Deacon as he had been writing all these events and leading us into the next book.

It was good and I am looking forward to The Great Convergence (The Book of Deacon #2).

1 comment:

  1. I hated reading as a kid. I read the encyclopedia in the library and loved doing that but books bored me and I just couldnt get into them.
    As an adult I got into reading with Agatha Christie and Robert Parker. I like mystery. I also now enjoy biographies and books on philosophy and religion.
    Your reviews are great. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm Moving for the last time...

  I hope you will consider joining me here ... I am taking down any of my old blogs here.  Too many old memories that I wish to move on fro...