Wednesday, March 21, 2018

One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude.  Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Harper Publishing. Originally published in June of 1967.  457 pages. Source: Audio Library

First sentence: Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonial Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Plot: The brilliant, bestselling, landmark novel that tells the story of the Buendia family, and chronicles the irreconcilable conflict between the desire for solitude and the need for love—in rich, imaginative prose that has come to define an entire genre known as "magical realism.

My thoughts:  My mind is numb from this one.  It was the longest most drawn out nothing that I can ever remember reading.  I know I have vowed not to continue reading a book I didn't like but I thought at some point it had to get better.  IT didn't.  

Generations and generations, seven I believe, in a town founded by patriarch Jose Arcadio Buendia, live really messed up lives. This story didn't really seem to have much purpose.  I wasn't sure what I was supposed to take away from it.  

3 comments:

  1. eep, I'll be skipping this one! Thanks for your frankness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have reaffirmed my vow...STOP if you don't like it. Life is too short to waste on bad reading. :)

      Delete
  2. The 'magical realism' tag turned me off reading it but it's one of those books that pops up on many lists. Good to know I haven't missed much!

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday Hodgepodge

  Good morning!  I am joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for this fun weekly meme. 1.What do you love about your life righ...