Friday, January 26, 2018

The Friday Night Knitting Club

The Friday Night Knitting Club. Kate Jacobs. 2007. G.P. Putnam's Sons. 352 pages. Source: Audio library book.

First sentence: Choosing your wool is dizzying with potential: the waves of colors and textures tempt with visions of a sweater or cap (and all the accompanying compliments you hope to receive) but don't reveal the hard work required to get there.

Plot: Once a week, an eclectic group of women comes together at a New York City yarn shop to work on their latest projects - and share the stories of their lives...

At the center of Walker and Daughter is the shop's owner, Georgia, who is overwhelmed with juggling the store and single-handedly raising her teenage daughter. Happy to escape the demands of her life, she looks forward to her Friday Night Knitting Club, where she and her friends - Anita, Peri, Darwin, Lucie, and K.C. - exchange knitting tips, jokes, and their deepest secrets. But when the man who once broke Georgia's heart suddenly shows up, demanding a role in their daughter's life, her world is shattered.

Luckily, Georgia's friends are there for encouragement, sharing their own tales of intimacy, heartbreak, and miracle making. And when the unthinkable happens, these women will discover that what they've created isn't just a knitting club; its a sisterhood.

My thoughts:  Not what I expected at all.  A group of women, most of them vitual strangers, come together to knit on Friday nights and soon develop deep friendships.  Each woman has her issues but knitting gives them a sense of peace.  Yes, I must agree it does once you get the hang of it.

It turns out that I liked this book a lot despite some very strong language (not a lot just a few here and there) and if I come across anymore in the series via audio book I will check it out.

1 comment:

  1. I could definitely get into this book! I love to knit :) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm Moving for the last time...

  I hope you will consider joining me here ... I am taking down any of my old blogs here.  Too many old memories that I wish to move on fro...