Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Old Man and The Sea

The Old Man And The Sea. Ernest Hemingway. 1952. Charles Scribner's Sons. 132 pages. Source (purchased Betterworldbooks.com)

First sentence: He was an old man that fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.

Plot: It is the story of an old Cuban fisherman and his supreme ordeal: a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Using the simple, powerful language of a fable, Hemingway takes the timeless themes of courage in the face of defeat and personal triumph won from loss and transforms them into a magnificent twentieth-century classic.

My thoughts: From the beginning I felt sorry for this old Cuban man.  He's all alone except for this very thoughtful boy who brings him food without making him feel like a charity case.  Good kid!  
Now he's out at sea, alone, fishing and he hooks the biggest fish he has every caught.  It's a struggle for days!  Me being the worrier that I am fretted through most of the story.  Will he be lost at sea, will this fish capsize his little boat?

If I go into much more I will spoil the story for you.  It was a good little read though.  I read it in just two sittings.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good book to curl up with with and enjoy a cup of coffee . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I'm Moving for the last time...

  I hope you will consider joining me here ... I am taking down any of my old blogs here.  Too many old memories that I wish to move on fro...