Friday, February 23, 2018

Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography

Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography. William Anderson. 2007. HarperCollins. 256 pages. Source: Betterworldbooks.com

First sentence: When Laura Ingalls was born in the state of Wisconsin, the land there was still raw and wild.

Plot: From her pioneer days on the prairie to her golden years with her husband, Almanzo, and their daughter, Rose, Laura Ingalls Wilder has become a friend to all who have read about her adventures. This behind-the-scenes account chronicles the real events in Laura's life that inspired her to write her stories and also describes her life after the last Little House book ends.

My thoughts: I didn't know there were so many books about Laura Ingalls Wilder!  I loved all the pictures included in this one.  I found my self from the moment Laura was a little girl in The Big Woods comparing her to the Laura of her own series.  It made me chuckle because I feel she did a good job at describing herself.  I had a hard time with the Little House books because I had seen the series on television and kept those images of Ma and Pa and the girls in my brain.  I like these images much better. 

This is the first biography I have read on LIW and had no idea that she was so widely traveled. Or that her daughter Rose is the one who encouraged her to begin writing. Or that she wrote in the Missouri Ruralist (which is still in print). OR helped to start a land mortgage company... She was one busy lady with helping Manley on the farm too!  And we ladies whine about the long list of "little" things we have to do. LOL!

Laura and Manley had a rough beginning.  Losing their infant son, their home burning, losing their crop to drought, and the storm that flattened their bumper crop!  Then they came to Missouri!  Things began to look up...


I'm finding myself wanting me to tell your Laura's story! :)  But I think this is a great read and that you will enjoy it as well.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a great book! I loved her books when I was growing up and of course the famous tv series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check this one out, Monica. I loved her words of wisdom in the book of hers that I read last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one a long time ago, but I don't own it. I think I need to add this one to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had commented, but maybe I had just thought about it. :-) I think I am going to read this next year, as it's supposed to be one of the best biographies of Laura. I just realized recently that I know a lot about her first 20 or so years and then the end of her life, but not the middle. Thanks for participating in the LIW Reading Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I'm Moving for the last time...

  I hope you will consider joining me here ... I am taking down any of my old blogs here.  Too many old memories that I wish to move on fro...